Monday, February 06, 2006

"There is no cure for birth and death, save to enjoy the interval." -- George Santayana

A wise saying indeed.

As we make our way through life here on earth, I think we too often forget to enjoy the time we're given here. It is truly a gift. I know you've all heard it before and it may sound trite, but I think we should all take this a little more seriously. We all know how easily the worries and trials of daily life can take our focus off what's truly important. But why? How can we fight this?

As Santayana points out--the fact remains that we can't argue with -- we were all born into this world and we're all going to die. I would only add that we can still look forward to the next life (for I trust by faith that life on earth is not ALL there is). And yet, we should savor the time we have while we're here on earth. Why not enjoy what life can bring us? We can't gain immortality. Our days are numbered. Little illuminations here and there wake us up to the brevity of life; there are times where we realize this afresh; times where we stop and see the world through the eyes of a child. But far too often, we rush, rush, hurry, hurry, stress, live, frown, and sweat our way through life, not taking enough time to stop and enjoy a sunrise, to savor a glass of good wine, to listen to a symphony or reach down to touch the dirt with our hands. So, my friends, this is a place devoted to finding ways to enjoy the interval. Whether it be through good food, good music, good wine, comedy, nature, taking care of children or through the words of our fellow man, there are always ways we can encourage one another to savor the here and now.

If you feel so inclined, please respond to a post that hits home with you. Or you can just read the mutterings of my thoughts on life. While I don't claim to have the answers to all the questions of life, I hope to provide a place where you're challenged to slow down, relax, and savor the moments you have here on this planet we call earth.

Can we enjoy every moment? Well, no. When my son stepped in a pile of dog crap, I certainly didn't rejoice in the fact that the dog's excretory system was functioning peoperly. But, can we enjoy more of life? I think so.

Carpe Diem

Neen the Bean (aka Janine)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home